What exactly is SOAR?
Watch this video to learn more!
General Information / Supervision
updated August, 2016
- Playground supervision is provided before school starting at 8:15 a.m. Do not leave your child unattended prior to 8:15.
- There is no staff supervision on campus after 3:00 p.m. Make sure there is appropriate supervision for your student after that time.
- Students should remain outside of the gates during recess and before/after school.
- Volunteers and visitors are expected to sign in and out of the office when volunteering on campus. Remember to wear a visitor badge when volunteering on the Greenbrook campus.
- Students may not be in a classroom without a teacher present.
- Students are expected to dress appropriately for school. Students dressed inappropriately will be asked to change.
- Students should wear the appropriate footwear for recess and PE classes.
- Students are not allowed to wear backless shoes or shoes with high-heels.
- Straps on a shirt should be at least two inches wide. Spaghetti straps are not appropriate for school.
- Shorts and skirts should be fingertip length.
- Hats and baseball caps may only be worn outside the classroom, unless approved by teacher.
Rules Specific to Kindergarten
- Students should keep their hands and feet to themselves.
- When using the slide, always go down, feet first, and one at a time.
- Don't swing your lunch box.
- Students are expected to clean up after themselves.
- Go down on one knee when you hear the whistle.
P.E. Games Rules
RULES THAT APPLY TO ALL GAMES
Students must always:
1. Be Respectful (others, self, equipment).
2. Be Positive (words, body language, attitude).
3. Best Effort (try your best and apologize for mistakes.
If all people in a game agree to modify a rule the rule may be changed.
- If even ONE person present at the start of the game disagrees then the PE rules are used.
- People changing games during play may not change previously agreed upon rules.
- ALL play or NO play, no student may be excluded from the game.
- If two players disagree during the game, they will use "rock/paper/scissors" to resolve conflict.
GAMES FOR GRADES 1-3
FOUR SQUARE (4 Player Game)
- Ball starts in service square with a toss into any other square.
- Ball may be caught and then tossed or hit directly into any other square by player receiving tossed ball from server.
- No throws or hits that go over the head of other players (cherry bomb).
- No out on serve.
- Rotate counter clockwise toward the service square (A) new player enters in (D).
- Same rules for 4th and 5th only no catching ball. Only time ball may be held is during serve.
TETHERBALL (2 Player Game)
- Newcomer has the option of picking serve or direction the ball is thrown.
- The ball is served by throwing, hitting, or pushing the ball.
- Ball may be caught, or struck by either player at any time after the serve (unless the ball is on the other player’s side).
- When the rope wraps around the pole completely causing the ball to strike the poll the game is over.
- If a player makes a mistake such as touching the rope, stepping on the other player’s side, or climbing the pole the player is out.
- Winning player may stay in for a maximum of 3 games.
- After everyone has played one game (PE only) have students play winners where only the person who makes the mistake goes out of the game.
- The small pie slices are shared space for both players.
- Same rules for 4th and 5th only no catching ball. The only time the ball may be held is during serve.
HANDBALL (2 Player Game)
- Ball must bounce once before hitting wall and may bounce once or not at all prior to other player making a play on the ball.
- Players may catch, hit, or push the ball making it bounce prior to striking the wall.
- You may hit the ball as hard or as soft as you like.
- After everyone has played one game (PE only) have the students play ‘winners’ where only the person who makes the mistake goes out of the game.
- Newcomer serves by throwing or hitting the ball to the wall.
- Winning player may stay in for a maximum of 3 games before going back in line.
- Same rules for 4th and 5th only no catching ball. The only time ball may be held is during serve.
GAMES FOR GRADES 1-5
- Basic baseball rules with no sliding to prevent injuries.
- Every person kicks during the first inning of play.
- After first inning student should play 3 outs or everyone kicks whichever comes first.
- No running after the pitcher has the ball in hand.
- No stealing or leading off of base.
- No throwing the ball at runners and no sliding into bases.
- The person who pitches kicks last 2nd to last batter would be 2nd pitcher.
- Switch positions every inning.
TWO-TOUCH (2 Player Game)
Two-touch is a soccer lead up game that allows the student to work on passing and trapping skills that will be used for soccer.
- Newcomer serves by kicking ball against the wall.
- The other player now has two touches to get the ball to strike the wall.
- Players may use any part of their body (except arms and hands) to make the ball strike the wall.
- If the ball is touched more than 3 times, hits arms or hands, or hits same player after striking the wall the player is out.
- Winning player may stay in for a maximum of 3 games.
- Ball may be kicked as hard or as soft as the player likes and can be struck in any direction off the board.
- After everyone has played one game have students play winners where only the person who makes the mistake goes out of the game.